Saturday 5 May 2012

Weekend cooking - Breakfast


Breakfast for me is indeed the most important meal of the day - and it has to be savoury.  I need that salty/lightly spicy boost that will open my eyes and keep me going for the rest of the day.  During the week, when time is of essence, I have to make do with a couple of slices of bread with cheese or ham (no butter/margarine), together with some fruit and tea/coffee. 

I take my revenge during the weekend:  I will satisfy my taste buds either with a "croque madame" which is really a grilled sandwich with a fried egg on top (careful, the yolk has to still be ever so slightly runny), or, when I really want to pamper the people around me, my mother's tried-and-tested "egg medley" - a dish that is as old as I am, but has lost none of its allure (neither have I, if you're asking...):



Mom's "strapatsada" (i.e. egg medley)

2 medium plum tomatoes, in cubes
3 eggs
200gr feta cheese, crumbled
smoked paprika, black pepper
(optional: herbs like thyme, basil, chives)

In medium heat, slightly fry the tomatoes (I don't use any oil/butter, but feel free to do so). Once most of the liquid has evaporated, stir in the crumbled feta.  Beat the eggs and fold in the mixture.  Stir until all is one happy medley.  I don't put any salt because the feta is quite salty, but I do use paprika for smokiness and black pepper for a bit of spice (Mom adds chopped herbs as well, but I prefer this dish plain).  That's it!  Pretty simple, whole-hearted breakfast - and it already has one vegetable for the day!
If I double the quantities, I can enjoy this dish cold the next day (and the following...).  And I certainly use it when I organise a brunch - it's a delightful, healthy variation of the "simple" scrambled egg dish.



This post is my entry into Weekend Cooking, a weekly event hosted by Beth Fish Reads.




4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great weekend treat. I would have never thought to eat it cold the next day, but now that I think about it, it'd probably make a great sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy a hearty breakfast too! This recipe sounds very tasty.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...