Thursday 6 September 2012

The Classics Club: Gothic Fiction in October

October is a fine month for me:  the weather starts cooling down, the trees start changing colours, the sofa is all the more inviting for a nice cup of tea and a good book... With Haloween  approaching as well, it is truly a good time to combine all good things and read Gothic literature - step into the world of fantasy, witness unusual situations and see what happens...

Délaissé is organising a Gothic event for the Classics Club and I'm thrilled to participate as it will give me an opportunity to read two gothics I've had in my TBR list for a very, very long time: 

                                

The mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe:

 
Ever since I heard it mentioned in The Jane Austen Book Club (of all places, and I'm not ashamed to say I actually liked this film) I've been intrigued to see what the whole fuss is about.  Délaissé actually lists several other books where Udolpho is mentioned which was a real surprise - I wouldn't have thought this to be such an innovative book.  Time to find out!





Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: 

The book made du Maurier a household name, and it still attracts new audience.  I want to read this book primarily because I want to try to see whether I can get the meaning of it (I've heard several comments on the plot) but also because I'm curious to see what (and if any) parallels there are with Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre.



I'm ready for the suspense!


6 comments:

  1. Rebecca is brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I'm thinking I might re-read it in Oct. Have you seen the Hitchcock film? If not, here's a trailer (I love this film deeply, I'm forever sharing this trailer to make people watch it!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZsDV_evon8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for this info! Actually, I bought the DVD ages ago (I also have a TBW (watched) list with all my DVDs...) so yes, I will watch it but only AFTER I've read the book...

      Delete
  2. Oooh, bring on the mysteries! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already looking forward to it!

      Delete
  3. I've also marked Rebecca for O's event in October :) Good luck with Udolpho, it's rumoured to be a must-read, especially if you've also read Northanger Abbey. It's a little too daunting for me to add to my reading list in October...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we're a great readalong group, we'll push each other to read 2 pages more ;-)
      I actually bought Udolpho together with Northanger Abbey after watching the Austen film - will it be anything like it?

      Delete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...