Sunday 28 October 2012

Recipe: vegetarian tortillas

Completing my month of Mexican/Tex-mex cuisine endeavours, it was high time I did something vegetarian.  While I'm not one myself, I like to explore meat-free alternatives on a regular basis and this type of cooking provides a tasty and healthy meal every time!  It's also a good base for experimenting with beans, chipotle peppers and olives (yum) - and produce a meal that's low cal, high protein, high fiber and  high calcium - what more can I ask... 


Vegetarian tortillas
adapted from Australian Healthy Food


400g can refried black beans (frijoles negros refritos)
2 chipotle peppers, finely chopped
250g mascarpone (or cottage cheese for  a lighter version)
3 tbsp chopped green olives
7 tortillas
100g grated cheese, to top


This is super-easy:  Preheat oven at 220 degrees C.  Mix beans, peppers, mascarpone, olives.  Slightly heat tortillas.  Fill each tortilla with 2-3 tbsp of the mixture.  Roll up and place in shallow dish, seal to the bottom.  Spread remaining mixture on top of tortillas, followed by the grated cheese.  Bake for 8-10 minutes, until everything is reheated.  Ready and absolutely divine!






This post is my entry into Weekend Cooking, a weekly event hosted by Beth Fish Reads.


This is also my fourth pin in the Pin it and Do it:  A Pinteresting challenge, hosted by Trish. 


13 comments:

  1. What could be easier? Yummm. I'd probably add some red sauce and turn them into enchillados.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! I don't like canned refried beans usually, but I've never heard of canned refried black beans. I bet I would like those better! I wonder where I could find them around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them in a Mexican store, together with the chipotle peppers and the tortillas.

      Delete
  3. I cook Mexican food, well Tex-Mex actually, but have never tried adding green olives to this type of dish. Sounds so flavorful. Will try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use olives in almost everything I do, I like their flavour and sometimes I use them in place of green onions

      Delete
  4. This sounds delicious, Patty! I'd make this any day, tortillas are a favourite in this household :) I wish I could find chipotle peppers more easily though. Can you get them in Belgian supermarkets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I get these ingredients from a Mexican store. I suppose chillies could be used instead - it's for spicing the mixture up!

      Delete
  5. That looks really delicious.

    I had a veggie enchilada in a Mexican restaurant yesterday that was really different -- corn and peppers and a mix of other veggies, but not beans because they were on the side. It was topped with salsa verde and cheese. Quite yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious, though I can't eat dairy :( But I LOVE chipotle peppers - yum! One of my favorite flavors. We love all kinds of Mexican dishes.

    Sue http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/2012/10/weekend-cooking-1027.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect for Meatless Mondays!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...